Neurosonographic Screening of Pre-Term Babies

Main Article Content

Sunil G. Lawand
Sachin P. Pujari
Shailesh Patil


Premature birth, low oxygen levels, birth trauma, and other causes of brain damage in newborns continue to be major causes of death and disability despite advances in neonatal intensive care. Preterm infants at risk for brain damage and subsequent neurodevelopmenal problems are often identified via cranial USG. These defects most often result from severe intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) or cystic periventricular leukomalacia (PVL). The most prevalent kind of brain damage, cerebroventricular haemorrhage, begins in a region called the germinal matrix, which is found in the groove between both the head of the caudate nucleus as well as the thalamus. It has a lot of blood vessels but not much more to hold it together. During fetal brain development, it serves as a source of neuroblasts that go to the periphery. Around 24–32 weeks of gestation, the germinal matrix is at its greatest, and subsequently it involutes, making it considerably smaller in full-term newborns than preterm infants. Forty percent of premature infants weighing less than 1500 grams have intraventricular hemorrhage, 90% of which occur in the first three postnatal days as well as the remaining 10% by the tenth day. Clinically, grades 3–6 intraventricular hemorrhage are often undetectable without a screening USG.

Article Details

How to Cite
G. Lawand, S. ., P. Pujari , S. ., & Patil, S. . (2023). Neurosonographic Screening of Pre-Term Babies. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine, 11(1), 1503–1506. Retrieved from


Suhag A, Berghella V. Cervical cerclage. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Sep;57(3):557-67. [PubMed]

O'Brien JM, Lewis DF. Prevention of preterm birth with vaginal progesterone or 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate: a critical examination of efficacy and safety. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2016 Jan;214(1):45-56.

Crider K.S., Whitehead N., Buus R.M. Genetic variation associated with preterm birth: aHuGE review. Genet Med. 2005;7:593–604. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

Blondel B., Kogan M.D., Alexander G.R., Dattani N., Kramer M.S., Macfarlane A. The impact of the increasing number of multiple births on the rates of preterm birth and low birthweight: an international study. Am J Public Health. 2002;92:1323–1330.

Felberbaum R.E. Multiple pregnancies after assisted reproduction – international comparison. Reprod Biomed Online. 2007;15(Suppl. 3):53–60. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

Blondel B., Macfarlane A., Gissler M., Breart G., Zeitlin J., Group P.S. Preterm birth and multiple pregnancy in European countries participating in the PERISTAT project. BJOG. 2006;113:528–535.

Wijnans L., de Bie S., Dieleman J., Bonhoeffer J., Sturkenboom M. Safety of pandemic H1N1 vaccines in children and adolescents. Vaccine. 2011;29:7559–7571

Simmons L.E., Rubens C.E., Darmstadt G.L., Gravett M.G. Preventing preterm birth and neonatal mortality: exploring the epidemiology, causes, and interventions. SeminPerinatol. 2010; 34:408–415

Calderon-Margalit R., Sherman D., Manor O., Kurzweil Y. Adverse perinatal outcomes among immigrant women from Ethiopia in Israel. Birth. 2015;42:125–131. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]